The center or region most known center for borders is a region of Portugal, bounded on the north by the Metropolitan Area Of Porto, Tamega, Sousa and Douro, east by Spain, the south by the Alto Alentejo and Wetland Tagus, the southwest by Area metropolitan From Lisbon and west by the Atlantic Ocean.
It consists of cities like Coimbra, Aveiro, Leiria, Guarda, Viseu and Castelo Branco, the Central Region of Portugal has a huge cultural and scenic diversity, providing visitors an infinite amount of pure beauty scenarios and history as well as a mixed intoxicating images, flavors and aromas.
Known as the "Portuguese Venice", with its colorful “moliceiros” and crossed by water canals, the city of Aveiro becomes a special place where the old is combined with the modern. The tiles of the facades of the houses and the eggs soft-famous invite us to know this sweet and beautiful city.
A perfect harmony between the river and the line of the sea, Costa Nova is located, where the houses painted with colorful and cheerful lists give rise to a landscape of great beauty.
Bathed by the River Mondego, Coimbra is a city that due to its infrastructure, organizations, businesses, history and geographical position, is considered one of the most important cities of Portugal.
Cidade de ruas estreitas, pátios e arcos medievais, Coimbra viu nascer seis reis de Portugal, da Primeira Dinastia, assim como a primeira Universidade do Pais e uma das mais antigas da Europa.
City of narrow streets, courtyards and medieval arches, Coimbra saw the birth of six kings of Portugal, the First Dynasty, as well as the first university of the country and one of the oldest in Europe.
Founded by King Dinis in 1290 the University of Coimbra is one of the historic city beloved landmark. Attended by many literary figures of the nineteenth century, as exemplified by Eca de Queiroz and Guerra Junqueiro, the University of Coimbra is also noted to hold inside the Museum of Sacred Art, the Chapel of St. Michael and the beautiful Joanina library Baroque, considered one of the most beautiful works of art of this architectural style.
Coimbra also invites to visit his Old Cathedral, the only Romanesque Portuguese cathedral intact since the time of the Reconquista, as well as the Monastery of Santa Clara-a-Nova built in the seventeenth century in order to accommodate the Poor Clares religious and came replace the old Monastery of Santa Clara-a-Velha representing the trial of the Gothic style in 1311 and extinguished by successive floods that target out by the river Mondego, because it is located on one of its banks.
Considered by many as one of the greatest pilgrimage destinations, the city of Fatima gains momentum from 1917 with the first appearance of Our Lady of Fatima to three shepherd children, Lucia, Jacinta and Francisco Marto, in Cova da Iria, where today is the Chapel of Apparitions. The apparitions took place all 13 from May to October 1917, the latter appearance was witnessed by more than 70,000 pilgrims to the so-called miracle of the sun.
In 1928 starts the construction of the Shrine of Our Lady of the Rosary of Fatima, one of the most important Marian shrines in the world and consists of the Chapel of the Apparitions, the Rosary Fair, the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary and colonnades, the retreat house our Lady of Mount Carmel and Rectory, our retreat House Lady of Sorrows and hostel for patients, Pius XII square and Paul VI Pastoral Center, and also the vast Basilica of the Holy Trinity, inaugurated on 13 October 2007.
Taken from the Moors in 1148 and having received its first letter of charter in 1195, under the reign of Sancho I, the village of Obidos was part of the dowry of many queens of Portugal, among them Dona Urraca of Castile (wife of D Alfonso II), Queen Isabel (wife of King Dinis), Philippa of Lancaster (wife of John I). With its whitewashed houses, symbol of Arab presence in Obidos, this village invites to get lost in its narrow alleys knowing its history and its most emblematic places, as the case of the Castle of Obidos, the Portal of Óbidos and the Church of Mercy.